James H. Barnhardt
Student Activity Center
In August 1996, the doors to the $26 million James H. Barnhardt Student
Activity Center opened. The 9,600 seat Dale Halton arena housed in
the facility is the permanent site of the men's home basketball games.
Several games will be televised on ABC, ESPN, Prime and Sports South.
The other sports teams competing in the arena are the women's basketball
team and the women's volleyball team. The facility is also the
site of commencement exercises as well as other on campus activities
such as special events.
Construction will soon begin on the expansion of the James H. Barnhardt
Student Activity Center. This expansion will be utilized by
athletics only and will include practice courts, weight rooms, locker
rooms and offices.
Special attractions within the center include:
- Two 2,600 square-foot weight rooms
- Indoor jogging track around the concourse
- 2,600 square-foot aerobics / press room
- Six intramural basketball courts
- 22,000 square-foot food court and lounge area
- 7,000 square-foot game room
- Modern sports medicine and rehabilitation center
- 6,600 square-foot multi-purpose hospitality area for meetings and
pre- and post- game gatherings
The Student Activity Center is also the site of our daily practice and
workout sessions. All cheerleading teams practice within the confines of
the main arena. Each practice is held on a 54' x 42' bonded carpet,
competition mat. Additionally, through relationships with local
gymnastic and cheerleading programs, we have access to full-size spring
floors and advanced tumbling equipment.